Wednesday, January 24, 2024

My Top Five Sources of News and Information

The New York Times - The New York Times is a popular news source that is considered very reliable. I utilize The New York Times for academic reasons as well as scrolling through the top stories on the home page. The website also includes short videos now from “the people's” perspectives. I value The New York Times because of its diverse opinions and extensive information on every topic.


CNN - I use CNN as a news outlet to get the opposite opinion of Fox News. I use these simultaneously because I have always been taught that it is more educational to see two opposite opinions in order to form your own. I also like the way CNN's website is formatted; they have a live broadcast, breaking news, and regular news articles.


Fox News - Fox is one of my favorite places to get news because of segments such as The Five, Jesse Watters, and Fox and Friends. These segments make watching the news fun because they have a little bit of drama, arguments, and jokes mixed in with the news. It is much less "buttoned up" and easier to watch, in my opinion.


Podcasts - I get a lot of my information about health and nutrition and world news through podcasts. I am also a sucker for true crime podcasts. One of my all-time favorite podcasts is “Serial,” narrated by journalist Sarah Koenig.


Serial follows true crime cases in an unbiased format, allowing you to form your own opinion of the case. I also love the podcast “Fitness Confidential,” a nutrition podcast with Vinny Tortorich, an ex-doctor turned nutritionist.


TikTok - As cliché as it may sound, TikTok is actually a great place to get all kinds of news and different kinds of information. TikTok accounts associated with news outlets post stories daily, as does pop culture entertainment news. The only thing to be careful about is the rise of fake news on this platform. It is always important to fact-check all information on TikTok because it is unfiltered, and people can post and say whatever (for the most part).

No comments:

Post a Comment

My digital footprint and experience with TikTok fake news

In class, Professor Smith asked what social media we use and everyone raised their hands when asked if we had TikTok. I spend lots of my fre...