Wednesday, January 24, 2024

History and Workings of the U.S. Supreme Court

 

The article "Supreme Court" on the History.com website aims to provide information about the U.S Supreme Court in a detailed yet simple way. I always knew a fair amount about the responsibilities  and purpose of the Supreme Court, but this article provided me with an in depth and structured amount of new information. 

From this article, I learned that the Supreme Court is that the chief justice is required to be on the board of Regents at the Smithsonian, as well as preside over the trials if a president is to be impeached. I was also not aware that Chief Justice John Marshall served the longest of any in history, for 34 years. 


My most important take away learning about the Supreme Court is understanding how vast the responsibilities are. They do everything from jurisdiction over laws, evaluating constitutionality of laws, and checking the actions of the other two branches of law. 

The most surprising thing I learned is that not much has changed since 1789 when the Supreme Court was established. Rules and laws have been overturned however, the system stayed in tact and invincible able and has worked out for America flawlessly. I also did not know (but should have known) that George Washington made it so there were six Supreme Court Justices. 

This article made me appreciate the diligence and sovereignty of the Supreme Court. I like how it was manufactured and not changed in its structure. To me that makes it seem all the more dependable and a trustworthy system. 









No comments:

Post a Comment

My digital footprint and experience with TikTok fake news

In class, Professor Smith asked what social media we use and everyone raised their hands when asked if we had TikTok. I spend lots of my fre...