Wednesday, February 21, 2024

Group 3- Telephone

 

Group 3 did their in class com tech presentation on communication. These inventions included the telephone, the I pod, Netflix and the telegraph. I never knew much about the start of these forms of communication and innovations, and group 3 was very informative in teaching them. 



The telephone's first call was made in Boston, Massachusetts. I was not aware of this and always thought it was international. The “Bell Telephone Company” was the first company and it was also founded in Boston, paving the way for many other companies to come after it. 


AT&T stands for “American Telephone and Telegraph Co which held the patents for not just the telephones but also the equipment that was needed to create the products. This made AT&T a powerhouse of the telephone that held a lot of the power in the 1800s. AT&T controlled over 85 percent of the industry until the 1980s, so it was a powerhouse for almost 100 years. In 1982, AT&T had to disperse its company and break it up into 5 different sectors, which have since begun to merge back together. 



Today most people have either a Samsung or Apple Phone, with a touchscreen and a multitude of apps. Some miss the simplicity of the older phones where you had to remember peoples phone numbers and pick up the phone to call them. 


Still today the major phone companies include AT&T, Verizon and just a few other smaller service providers. I remember when I was younger and my mom had a Verizon flip phone called the razor. I thought it was the coolest thing ever until the IPhone by Apple came out and now, its all I know how to use, and I can't imagine life without it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

My digital footprint and experience with TikTok fake news

In class, Professor Smith asked what social media we use and everyone raised their hands when asked if we had TikTok. I spend lots of my fre...